Keep Your Finances Safe While Traveling
Rena Crispin, CUDE, CCUFC
/ June 26th, 2019
- Make a photocopy or scan the information on your cards. It could take a long time to find contact information for your accounts if you lose your wallet. Keep copies (in a secure place) of the fronts and backs of cards so that you can cancel your accounts quickly when needed.
When accessing your accounts or paying bills online:
- Use a secure network with up-to-date antivirus software and a firewall.
- Don’t access your personal information from a public computer.
- Fully log out of your account when finished.
When using an ATM:
- Convert your personal identification numbers (PINs) to four numeric digits (not your birth date)—the standard for ATMs in most foreign countries.
- Be aware of your surroundings when entering your PIN and receiving cash.
- Make effort to use ATMs that are indoors, such as inside a financial institution.